Heading into fall with a little Monster Ball!
We have been working diligently on the fundamentals of throwing in PreK 3-4th grade. Grades 5 and 6 have been working on the fundamentals of football and volleyball.
Knowing the proper mechanics of throwing is pivotal in having success in a plethora of sports. The fundamentals of throwing have been instructed for two weeks with catching being introduced but not emphasized…YET.
We put it all together with a little MONSTER BALL.
It was fun to see the excitement in their faces as they competed against one another. There was healthy banter, congratulatory handshakes, high-fives, and shouts of victory.
As you are practicing throwing at home here are some review questions to ask:
- Where is the non-throwing hand when you are throwing to a target? (Pointing)
- What foot do you step with when throwing? (Opposite)
- Where should your elbow be? High? Or Low? (High)
- Does the throwing arm move slow or fast? (Fast/Accelerates)
- Do I stand still or step to throw? (Step and throw)
- When I am catching where do my eyes stay? (On the object/ball)
For Wellness Wednesday we talked through how to be a good sport; in winning, in losing, as a teammate.
A video was presented that gave specific examples on good and bad sportsmanship in 3rd-6th and in PreK 3-2nd we listened to a story about Howard Wigglebottom learning about sportsmanship.
We saw examples of growth as well as areas that need growth carryover into Monster Ball, and all in all it was a successful couple of weeks.
We look forward to seeing more growth in the area of catching so we can move on to more games successfully and progress into sport specific fundamentals.
We appreciate all your support and look forward to the rest of the year.